The City regularly assesses facilities used by the general public such as cinemas, theatres, pubs, bars, nightclubs, function centres and the like. These types of buildings are considered ‘public buildings’ by health legislation and may also include public events and shows.
The assessments focus on the public safety aspects of the building, including:
- Emergency exits and locking devices
- Emergency lighting
- Maximum accommodation
- Provision and maintenance of fire equipment
- Emergency evacuation procedures
- Provision and maintenance of sanitary facilities
- Adequate ventilation of the building
Should you wish to open a new public building, you will need to complete the following applications.
The below checklist will advise you as to the information to be included in the application.