City of Bunbury Rate Notices

Rate Notices for 2021/22 are due to be issued from the week commencing 9 August 2021.  If you are yet to receive your annual rate notice, please contact the Rates Department on (08) 9792 7243 or email rates@bunbury.wa.gov.au to confirm your postal address or email details. 

The first instalment or full payment is due on 20 September 2021​.

If you have any issues meeting one of the payment options detailed on your notice by the due date, please contact the City to discuss an alternative payment arrangement.​

Click here to pay your rates online now

Rates are raised on property to assist in the operation and maintenance of the City’s services and infrastructure, including parks and gardens, footpaths, traffic management and libraries. Land in the City is rated in accordance with the Local Government Act 1995.

If you have any queries in relation to the rating of your property please contact our Rates Department by e-mail at rates@bunbury.wa.gov.au or by telephone on (08) 9792 7243.

Click here​​​​​ to view the 2021-22 Rates and Budget information brochure.

Click here​​​​​ to view Rates Frequently Asked Questions.

Click here​​​​ to download Direct Debit Request Form

Click here to pay your rates bill.

Change of Address

To notify us of your change of address please phone (08) 9792 7243 or complete this form and return it via email to rates@bunbury.wa.gov.au or post PO Box 21 Bunbury WA 6231.


WA Seniors Card (SC):

  • The rebate on local government rates will be capped at $100.00
  • Entitled to receive up to a 25% rebate on your local government rates and emergency services levy.

WA Seniors Card (SC) AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC); OR a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC); OR State Concession Card (SCC):

  • Entitled to receive up to a 50% rebate on your local government rates and emergency services levy.
  • The rebate on local government rates will be limited to a maximum of $750.00
  • May be entitled to defer your local government rates and emergency services levy.

If your circumstances change, you must immediately advise the Water Corporation, Aqwest, or your Local Government. 

Your rates need to be paid by 30 June in order to receive your rebate. Your rates charges will be automatically deferred, where you are eligible, if payment is not made by 30 June of the current financial year.

You can only claim a rebate or deferment (where eligible) on ONE Property in any one charging or rating year, being the property owned and occupied as at 1 July.  The deferment option is NOT available where the property is occupied under a life tenancy or right of residency under the terms of a Will of a deceased estate; or subject to co-ownership (other than spouse/de facto). 

Deferred rates remain as a debt on the property until paid. These are not required to be paid until your entitlement to defer ceases.  They may also be paid at any time, but you do not receive any concession when they are paid. These do not incur interest charges.

For more information on the Concessions or to obtain an application for registration, please contact our rates department on (08) 9792 7243. Your one application will be registered at the City of Bunbury, Water Corporation, and Aqwest.

Rebates and concessions are administered in accordance with the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act, 1992.

Rates Calculation

Rates are calculated using the Gross Rental Value (GRV) multiplied by a rate in the dollar. The rate in the dollar (rate/$) is adopted by council for each financial year and advertised locally. Council rates do not attract the GST.  If you have any queries about how your rates have been calculated please contact our Rates Department.

Gross Rental Value

Local Government Authorities in Western Australia levy rates against each property by determining a rate in the dollar which is multiplied by the property’s Gross Rental Value. A Gross Rental Value (GRV) is the total amount of money a property could attract in rent per year.  In the event that land is vacant, or a new dwelling is under construction, the GRV is calculated using 3% of the land value

If you feel that the valuation of your property is not correct, you may lodge an objection to Landgate within 60 days of the date of issue of the first notice of valuation and rate for the financial year.

An online objection can be lodged via Landgate under “How do I lodge an objection to my Gross Rental Valuation” click here.

Lodgement of an Objection, or its subsequent conversion to an appeal, does not alter the obligation to pay the full amount of rates based on the valuation against which the objection has been lodged, by the due date specified in the rates notice.

Emergency Services Levy

The City of Bunbury collects an Emergency Services Levy via rates notices on behalf of the State Government and remits the amount back to the State Government (DFES).This levy is determined each year by the State Government. 

The Emergency Services Levy funds services like the Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Local Governments’ Bush Fire Brigades, State Emergency Service, and Multi- service DFES units.  Other expenditure also includes the training of volunteer, community safety programs, emergency management planning, DFES’s Emergency Management Services and DFES’s corporate support costs.

Further information on the levy can be obtained by contacting DFES on 1300 136 099 via the DFES website. ​​​