Thursday 25 July 2019
Improvements to Ocean Drive will continue with the next stage of widening works beginning on Monday 29 July.
This will be the second last stage of works which will see the section between Hastie Street and Mangles Street widened by 2.5 metres with a new 2.5m footpath alongside it.
The final stage set to begin mid-2020 will include the widening of road from Mangles Street to Hayward Street.
The project has been jointly funded by the State Government and the City of Bunbury with the entire Ocean Drive widening project costing $2.75m. The current stage has been costed at $750,000.
New street lighting will also form part of the improvements to the popular coastal route as well as upgrades to the Hastie Street car park and new toilet block replacing the old facilities.
Bunbury Mayor Gary Brennan said the upgrades would make the road safer for motorists.
“This is the third stage of the project which has so far seen Ocean Drive improved from Washington Avenue to Hastie Street and has allowed for cycle lanes to be added,” Mayor Brennan said.
“Our community has pinpointed improved pathways as a priority and we are happy to deliver.
“New lighting will also allow for better safety and security in the evening and in the early hours of the morning when recreational activities are taking place along that stretch of road.”
Works will begin with the laying of a new water main for the new toilet block followed by drainage work which will see road closures in place with southbound traffic being directed down Mangles Street.
Once drainage works are complete the road widening will begin and road closures will continue to be in place.
The current footpath will also be closed for safety due to deep excavation.
Works including the replacement of the toilet facility are expected to be completed in time for summer.