Aquatic Facilities and Swimming Pools

The Health (Aquatic Facilities) Regulations 2007 applies to aquatic facilities for public use, not domestic swimming pools. This includes municipal aquatic/recreation centres, theme parks, schools, learn-to-swim centres, tourism venues (resorts, hotels, motels, caravan parks, bed & breakfast, chalets, recreational campsites and farm stays), health clubs, physiotherapy centres, mine sites, places of adult entertainment, retirement/lifestyle villages and body corporate premises with ≥ 30 units/apartments.

City Environmental Health Officers undertake routine sampling and inspections of public aquatic facilities to ensure they are meeting public health requirements.

New public aquatic facilities have to be approved by the Department of Health (WA). More information is available here.